Chartered Finance is committed to protecting your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information and has developed this policy to ensure these goals. The collection and use of personal information is fundamental to our business of providing financial products and services for our customers. That includes treating your personal information fairly and with care.
Chartered Finance prioritizes privacy and the confidentiality of personal information. This commitment is reflected in their policy, designed to protect personal data and ensure fair treatment in their business of offering financial products and services.
Personal Information refers to data unique to an individual, encompassing details like your name, address, age, Social Insurance Number, income, assets, liabilities, and records related to finance and employment. It also covers aspects such as credit extension, your usage of our products and services, and the disclosure of your information to others.
We collect and use personal information for various reasons. We ensure to clarify the intended use of your information either before or when we collect it, and we restrict its collection and use to those stated purposes. If we need to use your information for any different purpose, we will seek your additional consent. The majority of the information we gather comes directly from you, with supplementary details possibly sourced from credit reporting agencies and other external parties. The primary aim of collecting personal information is to establish a relationship with you and to cater to your financial requirements.
The personal information we collect is used for several purposes, including:
- Confirming your identity;
- Assessing the appropriateness of our products and services for you;
- Evaluating your financing application, especially in terms of credit risk;
- Understanding your financial needs to identify suitable financial products or services and offering them to you directly or through our strategic partners;
- Sharing with third parties that Chartered Finance selects as business associates for mortgages, credit and other insurance, card services, and homeownership-related products and services. These associates may establish eligibility and offer products to you, either directly or via us;
- Managing and providing continuous service in our financial and lending programs, including interactions with your mortgage agent or broker; and
- Adhering to legal and regulatory requirements.
We need your consent to collect, use, or disclose your personal information, unless it’s for specific scenarios like fraud investigations or other legal and security matters. For Chartered Finance’s present and future collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information, as detailed in this policy or any document where you explicitly consent, we recognize the following as indications of your consent:
- Your voluntary provision of information directly to Chartered Finance or via licensed agents or mortgage brokers;
- Your agreement given during an application process, or in a mortgage commitment, mortgage, or related documents;
You can express your consent to us in various ways: orally (like over the phone), in writing (as on an application), or electronically (through the internet). Providing your Social Insurance Number (SIN) for credit products is not mandatory. If you choose to provide it, we will use it to distinguish your information from others with similar names, including when sharing information with credit reporting agencies.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, given reasonable notice, though there are some legal or contractual limits. For instance, you cannot withdraw consent for the disclosure of your information to our service providers during your mortgage term. It’s important to understand that withdrawing consent might impact our ability to provide you with the products and services you currently have or want in the future.
To withdraw your consent, please contact our Privacy Officer using the provided contact details.
We ensure that the personal information we collect about you is only what is necessary for the purposes we have communicated. All information is gathered through fair and lawful methods.
Your personal information will only be used or shared for the purposes we specified at the time or before you provided consent. If we need to use your information for anything beyond the original scope, we will ask for your additional consent.
Occasionally, as part of its regular operations and obligations, Chartered Finance may need to disclose your personal information. This could involve sharing with third-party lenders, rating agencies, consumer reporting agencies, partners, consultants, and suppliers, collectively known as “service providers.”
We will keep your personal information only as long as needed for the specified purposes and for a reasonable period afterward to address any potential obligations or legal or governmental requirements. After your personal information is no longer necessary, we will either securely destroy it or anonymize it.
Chartered Finance is committed to making decisions based on accurate, complete, and relevant personal information for each customer. We depend on you to provide all essential information and to notify us of any changes, ensuring our records remain up-to-date.
We are committed to safeguarding your information, regardless of whether it’s stored electronically or in paper format. We implement stringent security measures and protections to prevent unauthorized access, disclosure, or misuse of your data. Our security procedures are regularly reviewed to verify their proper implementation and to ensure they continue to be effective and suitable for their purpose.
Upon your request and successful identification, we will provide you access to the personal information we hold about you. We will inform you about the specific information we have, its purpose, its sources, and any parties it has been shared with (except in cases where it was disclosed to a government body or service provider for routine purposes, or to a government body that legally obtained the information). This will be done within a reasonable timeframe, and a small processing fee may be charged for your request.
We reserve the right to withhold access to personal information in our possession or control in certain circumstances, including if it:
- includes references to other individuals;
- could reasonably pose a threat to another individual’s security;
- involves the disclosure of confidential commercial or proprietary information;
- is protected under solicitor-client or litigation privilege;
- is utilized for detecting and preventing criminal activity and handling the proceeds of crime; or
- is restricted from disclosure due to other legal reasons.
If we decide to deny your request for access to your personal information, we will provide you with a written explanation for the refusal.
Chartered Finance Officer